Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Did It! I'm putting 10% to Retirement!

I'm still reading Trump University Wealth Building 101: Your First 90 Days on the Path to Prosperity (Trump University) I just finished another chapter by John Burley on setting up an AIP (automatic investment plan). He does not advocate budgets, but AIP's. He recommends that you put away 10% of your gross pay into an investment vehicle, such as a mutual fund, stock portfolio, etc. I have chosen to put mine into my 457 plan, that way I am saving, investing, and also reducing my tax liability which will increase my income. I wish I could put the maximum in there, but I am just not there yet. I still have too much credit card debt. I need to sell my money pit, which is a vacation home in ski country. Its killing me financially, and in this market, I'll be lucky to break even, but I am remaining optimistic! Some interested buyers looked at the place this weekend, although the realtor wants 5% commission. Yes, thats right. ONE REALTOR wants a whole 5%, no other realtors involved. I think its a bit greedy but this brokerage has a monopoly in the area, and if they can sell an in house listing to a buyer they are also representing, they are going to push that property, not mine. I can't afford to give them 5%, theres barely any equity left! But I will remain hopeful, until tomorrow, when I phone him up and beg, er, negotiate.

No comments: